Monday, August 29, 2011

Mexican Pot Roast

I got out the ol' crock pot again the other day and made this delicious roast.


And we made it into tacos because my family had not had tacos this week.
Plus, we had some people coming over, and this will go a long way.

I had this roast for the first time a few months ago when my friend Rick made it.
It instantly turned into one of my favorite things.
I have made basically the same thing with chicken many times
and never thought to use a roast.

  
I started with a hunk of frozen meat from my deep freeze.
Not sure about the weight, but it was pretty big.


Then i dumped some of these things on it.


You don't need to add water.
The meat will make it's own liquid.


I added the tomatoes last.

Then I covered it and cooked on high for 6 hours.


And it looked like this.
There was a ton of liquid in there!


A little over 2 cups!

I dumped the juice into a cup and let it sit for a few minutes.
The fat separated and I dumped it out.
There was about a cup of fat.
Yuck
Then I poured the rest of it back into the crock pot.


And it shredded easily.
It was ready to eat at this point.
I turned it on low and left it alone while I got the other stuff ready.

The other stuff was tortillas and cheese and avocado and sour cream.
You know - all the stuff you would put on a taco.

Letha made guacamole and I forgot to take a picture :(


You can't see the meat - but it's in there somewhere.

I also made a dump cake for dessert, but for some reason I didn't take any 
pictures of that either!
We'll save that one for another time I guess.

Mexican Pot Roast
3-4 lb chuck roast
1 pkg taco seasoning
2 tbsp dried minced garlic
(you can use fresh if you have it)
3 tbsp chopped dried onion
(again - you can use fresh)
2 tbsp cumin
1 can rotel

Put roast in crock pot and sprinkle all seasonings on top.  
Add tomatoes last.  
I'm not sure why.  
Cover and cook on high for 6-7 hours if meat is frozen and 10-12 
hours if thawed.
Remove meat and drain juices.
Separate fat and dump the rest back in with the meat.
Shred meat and mix it all up.

Of course, you could eat this by itself, but I think everything is 
more fun on a tortilla :)

2 comments:

  1. "Cover and cook on high for 6-7 hours if meat is frozen and 8-10 hours if thawed." ??? That doesn't sound right...

    -Russell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Youre right russell!!! I'll change it. It should be 10-12 on low.

    ReplyDelete