Thursday, August 25, 2011

Sesame Chicken

I tried a new recipe!!



My family LOVES Chinese food.
We love going to a Chinese buffet.
Sometimes it's gross.
And sometimes it's yummy!!

Everyone loves sesame chicken, so I thought I'd try it out.
I googled this recipe.
It called for chicken that wasn't fried and I liked that because 
I'm scared to fry chicken.

Sesame chicken
3 lbs boneless skinless chicken
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup and 1 tbsp water divided
1/3 cup apple juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp ketchup
2 tsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp sliced scallion
dash ground red pepper
1 tsp cornstarch
I wasn't sure how much 3 pounds of chicken was, so I had to guess.
I started with 6 small breasts, but then added 2 more because that just didn't look like enough for my family.


My recipe was a little confusing.
It didn't tell me to cut the chicken up or anything!
So, I cut it up into small pieces.


 I heated up a pan and sprayed some cooking spray.
And threw in the chicken.
It took about 5 minutes to brown it.

Then you take it out of the pan and set it aside.


Then, mix the water, apple juice, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, 
garlic and red pepper.  
I didn't have any scallion, so I skipped it.
And I misread about the ground pepper, so I added red pepper flakes.
Heat this up for a few minutes.




Then mix the sauce with the chicken again.
  I really didn't have to remove my chicken from the pan because I used a different pan for the sauce.

But, whatever.
Now cover it all up and cook for about 20 minutes.


In the meantime, I had my rice cooker going with some broccoli 
steaming on top.


So after 20 minutes, you take the chicken out of the pan again!!
Can you believe it?!?




It was time to thicken the sauce, but I hardly had any left in my pan!
I had to add a little more of everything!!
Then I dissolved the cornstarch in a tbsp of water and 
poured it in and mixed it up.




Then I put the chicken BACK into the pan again!!
And added sesame seeds.


Look at these cute little mini eggrolls I got from Sams.


 
MMMmmmm
Fluffy jasmine rice.

  
My plate.

So, this wasn't exactly the kind of sesame chicken that 
we get at the restaurant.
Actually, it wasn't even close!!!


Must be because I didn't add that scallion :/





No comments:

Post a Comment