Friday, August 26, 2011

Busy Thursday and Jackie's Salad

I did not cook last night.
We had Little Caesars.

I have turned Thursday into the busiest day ever.
I have lunch duty at school from 11-12:00.
Then the kids get out at 3:00.
We go straight to gymnastics till 5:00.
And football immediately after till 7:30.

I should have thrown something in the crock pot in the morning, 
but I wasn't thinking.
So, I pulled into Little Caesars last night for some hot and ready.
Problem was- nothing was ready!!
It took 20 minutes :(
  But it was hot.

Everyone was sweaty and dirty and needed a shower or bath.
And we had to study for tests and do homework.
Kids got to bed way later than I would like.

So, even though I didn't cook for dinner, 
I did make a yummy simple salad for lunch.

My friend Jackie and I went to eat at a restaurant called Red Rock 
Canyon Grill or something like that.
They have a really good house salad!!
Jackie went home and tried to duplicate it.
I think it's pretty close.

Jackie's Salad
Spinach leaves or mixed greens
Broccoli Slaw
Cranberries N' More Mix
Goat Cheese
Poppyseed Dressing
Chicken (optional)


I didn't have spinach.
But I did have this half and half salad mix that has spinach in it.


And I had some left over grilled chicken that I need to eat, 
so I threw it on top.
I love to make a ton of grilled chicken when we have it so I can use it on a salad for lunch during the week.
If I made this salad as a side to go with dinner, I just wouldn't add the chicken.  It's just as good.


Broccoli Slaw.
I never knew this existed until Jackie put it on the salad.
It scared me, but I liked it.


This also scared me.
It's a little sour and mushy and weird.
And really good.
You can buy this already crumbled in a little tub, but they were out of the tubs when I went.  So I got this log.  This goes much further than the tub.  And when you slice it - it crumbles itself.


And then there's this stuff.
This comes from walmart.
(As does almost everything else I buy).
I love salad with nuts and crunch things, so I like to add a lot of this.


Use this dressing.
I tried the other kind and it's gross.


It looks like I dumped a whole lot of dressing on it, but I really didn't.
The only thing different about this salad and the Red Rock salad is they make these unbelievable cornbread croutons and put them on there.
I don't even know how to begin to make cornbread croutons.
And that would be a lot of work, and it wouldn't really be a 
simple salad anymore. 
So, if you know how to make cornbread croutons - go for it!!
But I think it's just fine without them.

I like to think that my light and healthy salad that I ate for lunch helped to balance out the half a box of Little Caesars cheesy bread I ate for dinner.



3 comments:

  1. I have to say, this really IS the most amazing salad and Wendy and I make "the salad" with almost every meal our families enjoy together! In the summer, that is a lot!! And it never gets boring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! How long can chicken stay in the fridge before it ruins? That scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee-cooked chicken can stay in the fridge for a week.

    ReplyDelete