Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Chicken Curry

This is a recipe I got off of the Crock Pot Girls website.
My friend Kelly has made this 3 times and 
loves it, so I thought I would give it a try.

Here's what I learned about this recipe:
To make a dish with curry - you have to really like curry!
And I wasn't sure about it, but here you go...

 
I didn't have everything the recipe called for,
so I just made it with what I had.
But, I had to tweak it a bit at then end.
I'll see my friend Kelly tomorrow
and then I can ask her how she does it.

 
 This is what I started with.
Recipe said to use a ton of vegetables - 
whatever you have.  Well, this was
all I had.  If I had a green or red pepper,
and a zucchini, I would have used that too.


I had really big chicken breasts, 
so I cut them into big chunks and put
them in the crock pot.


Then I cut up the vegetables that I had.


I used some dried onion for flavor.
I don't like chunks of onions, but I love the flavor.
I dumped in the spices too.
Lots of cumin and curry.
The recipe called for tumeric, but I don't
know what that is and I didn't have any.
I saw it at the store, but I didn't want to pay 
$4 for it when I only needed like a teaspoon of it.


Then I poured a can of coconut milk in.
This really scared me!!! 
I have never used this before, and it
looked all milky and soupy and weird.


Then I added a cup of chicken broth
and a can of diced tomatoes.


Mixed it up and let it cook on low for 6 hours.


It smelled good.  It smelled like curry and milk.
It was very soupy.  I think I could have done
without the chicken broth.  I had to put 
a little cornstarch in to thicken it up.


I took the chicken out and shredded it.


Then put it back in the pot.
It was a little thicker now.


I served it with some jasmine rice.

*

So, Russell liked it.  He likes curry :)
I tried it and decided I don't like curry :(
The girls wouldn't touch it.
They had a frozen pizza.
Jacob had a small bowl and ate it and said it was good.
And then he asked for frozen pizza.

*

Here's the recipe as I found it on the 
Crock Pot Girls website:

Chicken Curry

about 4 chicken breasts, frozen or thawed
tons of whatever veggies you like (I use squash, 
zucchini, carrots, celery, etc)
about 3 chopped tomatoes (or you can just use a can of diced)
1 onion chopped
1 can coconut milk (light or regular, doesn’t matter)
1 cup chicken broth
salt to taste
1 or 2 Tbsp curry powder (your preference)
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric
If you like you curry spicy, you can chop up 
a dried red chili or 2 and add.

*

There were no instructions with this recipe.
So, I just assumed you throw it in and mix it
up and cook on low for 6 hours or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment