Sunday, October 30, 2011

Applesauce

Yes, it's another apple recipe.
And another crock pot recipe.
But it's super fun and easy.

Homemade applesauce in the crock pot. 


So, on Friday, I went to the school 
to help make applesauce. 
I have never done this, so I 
had no idea what to expect.
I walked in, and the whole room smelled
like apple pie.  I was excited!
 There were 2 crock pots full of apples.
My job was to help the kids turn 
them into applesauce.
So, I did my job, and I couldn't
wait to get home so I could make 
my own applesauce for my family!!


I had bought some apples last week
and they didn't get eaten as fast as I 
would like.  So, I thought this would be 
the perfect thing to do with them.
I took all that I had and washed them 
and quartered them.
I had 3 different kinds here.
I don't think it matters.


I sprayed my pot with non stick spray.
And threw all the apples into the crock pot 
seeds, stems, peels and all!!
Set on high.

It wasn't until after I had rushed home
and quickly done all this that I thought - 
this would have been a really fun 
thing to do with the kids!!

So, I made sure they were home to 
help me with the rest of it.


This is after 2 hours.
Smelling good already.


2 more hours (4 total)
done


I borrowed this from Mo's teacher.
I think it's a food mill.
I think you could also use a potato ricer
or something like that if you have one.


Basically, you fill this thing up
and squish all the good stuff through
the little holes with the wooden thing.
And all the stuff you don't want stays inside.


You'll need a helper.
Mo was my helper.

This is the part that I helped the kids at school with.
They each got to come and turn the handle
around a few times to squish the apples out.


See it squishing out?


It didn't make a whole lot.
My crock was almost half full of 
apples when I started, and
I only got a small bowl of sauce.


This is what's left in the food mill.
Seeds, stems, peels and cores.
Let's just throw this in the trash.


Here's a tiny cup of applesauce.


Here's Kailey and Mo enjoying their applesauce.
It all disappeared in about 5 minutes!!

Remember - there's only apples in this!!
No water, sugar or juice added.

*

Here's the recipe:

Easy Crock Pot Applesauce

apples

Take whatever apples you have.  (They can 
be different varieties). Wash and 
quarter them and put them in your crock pot.
Set on high for 4-6 hours.  
Pass through a food mill.  
Let them cool and enjoy :)


 




No comments:

Post a Comment