Sunday, September 11, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

I made chicken pot pie for the first time :)


Isn't it pretty?
Wednesday's are my favorite lately.
No football and no homework.
We watch Wednesday night church online, so it gives me plenty 
of time to cook a big meal or try a new recipe.

I searched for a recipe that I liked, and couldn't find one.  
So, I took a little from a few different ones 
and came up with this.


I found this chicken in my freezer.
I thawed it.
Then I cooked it.


I put it in this pot with some water, salt and pepper.
Brought it to a boil, and then simmered for an hour.


When I pulled the chicken out, I had the most delicious broth.


The chicken was done and easily falling off the bone.
My chicken yielded about 4 1/2 cups.

Normally, I wouldn't go through the time and trouble of cooking 
a chicken for an hour.  I would use leftover chicken if I had it.  
But, like I said - it was Wednesday and I had time, and this guy 
was just sitting in my freezer begging to be cooked.


Then I made the sauce.
Start with equal parts butter and flour.
Add some salt and pepper.
Whisk constantly until it becomes smooth.


Slowly add some of the chicken broth.
Still whisking constantly.


And some milk.


Then I added some frozen veggies to the chicken.
 
 
I also had a potato that I cut up and threw that in too.
 
 
Then I poured the sauce all over it.
This seemed way too saucy to me and I got scared.
But, I went with it.


I got out my favorite Pampered Chef deep dish pie plate.
Have I mentioned how much I like Pampered Chef?
And lined it with a pre-made pie crust.
 
 
And dumped it all in.
 

And covered it up with the other pie crust.
I cut some holes to try to make it look pretty.
And brushed the top with an egg white and water mixture.


It went in a very hot 425 degree oven for 40 minutes.
It looked really good when it came out.


When I cut into it, it was very saucy.
But, as it sat for a few minutes, it thickened up a lot.
I think I should have let it sit for 
about 10 or 15 minutes before I dug in.
Another thing - my potatoes didn't cook all the way :(
So, next time - I would cut them smaller, or leave them out altogether.

*

Here's the recipe:

Chicken Pot Pie
1 pkg refrigerated pie crusts
3 cups cooked chicken
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup small diced potatoes (optional)
 1 egg white
1 tbsp water


Heat your oven to 425.
In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. 
Add flour, salt and pepper, stirring constantly until well blended.
Slowly pour in broth and milk and stir until bubbly and thickened.
Remove from heat.  Mix chicken and vegetables in large 
bowl and add sauce.  Mix well.  Line deep dish pie pan 
with 1 pie crust.  Pour chicken mixture in pan.  Top with second crust.  
Seal edges.  Cut a few holes in the top for steam to escape.
Mix egg white and water.  Brush top of crust with egg white mixture.  
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.  
You made need to cover edges of crust with foil during 
last 15 minutes to prevent excessive browning.  
Let stand 10 minutes before serving. 





1 comment:

  1. Hey. That chicken was definitely not begging to be cooked!!! I've never had a whole chicken in my freezer like that. I'm scared of legs and wings and thighs! When I buy rotisserie chicken we give all those parts to Lily who loves them!

    I made this just yesterday. I didn't add milk to my broth sauce. Did u invent that? Also I can't use mixed veggie bag because PG is allergic to peas. So I add green beans carrots corn and potatoes. My potatoes didn't cook either but when I microwaved leftovers the next day they were soft. Next time I will buy those small Already cubes potatoes for breakfast potatoes. I read that online.

    I got bonus points with my husband for spring his favorite football team in dough on top! I'm sure everyone would like to see how professional it looked but you can't.

    ReplyDelete