Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Chicken Piccata

Last night, I made chicken piccata.
The recipe was actually named "Easy Chicken Piccata", 
but I'm not really sure it was that easy.


There was a lot involved.


I started with these items.
The recipe called for 4 chicken breasts, 
but my are very small 6oz portions, 
so I used 6.  The recipe also called for chicken 
broth which isn't pictured :)


First, you have to smash up the crackers.
This is my helper, Mo, doing the smashing.

  
I coated the chicken breasts with mayonnaise. 


Then coat in the crushed crackers.


Heat some olive oil in a pan and put the chicken in there 
for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown.


I had to add a little more oil when I flipped them.


 A little of the cracker crumb stuff fell off.
Oh well.
When the chicken was cooked, I transferred 
it to a platter and put it in my oven 
on very low heat just to keep warm. 

 
Next, I had to slice and juice some lemons.


The recipe said to use 3, but I only
had 2 and they were very juicy.


I usually snack while I'm cooking.
This is what I snacked on tonight.
Sugar snap peas and roasted red pepper 
hummus.  Both from Walmart :)

Russell talked to a nutritionist lady last week that 
told him we should eat a pound of vegetables a day!!!  
That's a lot!!  So, I'm trying to get 
them in whenever possible.


Then I put the lemon juice and chicken broth in my 
pan and heated it for about 5 minutes on medium heat.

I made chicken pot pie a few weeks ago and 
ended up with a lot of chicken broth.  I put it in the 
freezer and I pulled some out for this recipe.


Then, I added the lemon slices, butter, capers, and some 
chopped up marinated artichoke hearts that were not 
in my recipe but I wanted them in there.
Recipe called for more capers, but I think they're 
kinda weird, so I didn't put that many in.


I heated that just until the butter melted 
and then poured it over the chicken.
I was supposed to add parsley at this point, but I forgot.

 
Russell bought me this asparagus steamer 
pot many years ago.  Isn't it neat?


I bought this rosemary and sea salt focaccia bread at Sams. 
It tasted just like the bread at Macaroni Grill!!
I had it warming in the oven with the chicken.
I also made mashed potatoes from a box :P


The finished product.

 My plate.

So.... The kids hated the chicken.  They said it 
was too lemony.  I kind of agree.
I could have added more broth or less lemon, 
or both.  Russell like it though.
  
The kids devoured the potatoes from the box :P

*

Here's the recipe:

Chicken Piccata
 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
4 large lemons
1/4 cup mayonaisse
1 cup crushed Ritz crackers (about 20 crackers)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp capers
1 small jar chopped artichoke hearts (optional)

Coat chicken with mayo, then the cracker crumbs.  Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high heat and add the chicken.  Cook about 5 minutes on each side until golden brown.  Transfer to a platter and add parsley.  Remove any crumbs from the skillet.  Cut a few lemon slices from 1 of the lemons and juice the rest. Add lemon juice and broth to skillet and cook on med-high heat for about 5 minutes.  Add butter, lemon slices, capers and artichokes.  Cook and stir on low heat until butter is melted.  Serve over chicken. 

 


 






No comments:

Post a Comment