Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Buttermilk

Buttermilk.



When I think of buttermilk, I think 
of someone's grandpa somewhere in an old farmhouse 
eating a bowl of cornbread and buttermilk. 
But, not my grandpa.  He didn't live on a farm.
And he was Irish.  And I'm pretty sure I never saw him 
eating cornbread and buttermilk.
But, I bet someone else's did.

Anyway, I was flipping through a magazine and found a 
recipe for buttermilk grilled chicken.  
Sounded interesting, so I tried it.
And because you can't buy just a small thing of 
buttermilk - you have to get a large amount - I needed 
to make something else with the stuff.

And suddenly, I knew exactly what to make.
There is a restaurant in Atlanta called Houston's.
They make one of the best salads ever.  
They have a dressing there called buttermilk garlic.
It's so delish.

So here's my copycat recipe for Houston's 
Buttermilk Garlic salad dressing.


This is so easy.
Take these ingredients and blend together.
The end.


I put mine is this big jar.
It stays good for about 2 weeks.


It's great on a salad like this one, with egg and bacon.
It's also really good as a dip for raw veggies.

And, while we're at it - here's my buttermilk chicken:


Take some chicken breasts and marinate in a bag 
for 2 to 24 hours with buttermilk and pretty much 
the same exact ingredients as the salad 
dressing except for the sour cream and mayonnaise. 


Cook them on the grill.


We wrapped ours up with a toothpick and slow cooked them 
on the top rack.  They were so moist and yummy!! 

Here's the recipes:

Grilled Buttermilk Chicken
6-8 chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
8 cloves chopped garlic
1 tbsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt 
1 tsp black pepper

In a bowl, combine buttermilk, garlic, paprika, salt and 
pepper.  Place in a large ziplock bag with the chicken and let 
marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
Remove chicken from the marinade and grill on low for 
about 30 minutes or until done.

*

Buttermilk Garlic Dressing 
1/2 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp dry mustard
2 tbsp sugar

Put all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
Flavors will blend after it sits awhile in the fridge.
 









1 comment:

  1. When I think of buttermilk I think of Pastor Sharon drinking it on her fasts and going to QT to buy it!

    I want to try this next time we come over!

    ReplyDelete